Lest we forget Susan B. Anthony sought voting rights for women because she was offended that black men were allowed to vote and she wasn’t, even though, as she said, their brains weren’t capable of understanding politics. Susan B. Anthony, racist.
White privilege is Susan B. Anthony being an American hero. White privilege not understand why black folks should be skeptical of mainstream feminism when this white supremacist is one of the most seminal figures in the feminist movements.
good note about how we frame history as often being from a white lens, not just a male lens.
LegoScope is a DIY microscope made out of legos, lenses and a few custom-made pieces. The UCSF grad students behind the project spoke with Synapse about the ways in which LegoScope can demystify microscopy and science education:
How can LegoScope help students learn?
Reid Williams: It’s not what you’re teaching, but how are you teaching. What’s really interesting for us, and what we’ve heard from teachers, is that there’s an advantage in a very hands-on, process-oriented fashion. The underlying need that we’re working towards is learning something by putting together a tool rather than watching someone lecture.
If you are teaching the fifth to eighth grades, LegoScope can help incorporate a more intuitive feel for optics, or just for building and systems-thinking in general. Students would take away more than microscopy and optics, but also the more intangible aspects, like an intuitive understanding of how light behaves. It can be a very powerful exercise.
Harrison Liu: A microscope is seen almost like a “black box,” yet we can take it apart and see how it works with LegoScope. When you build something, then you can take ownership of it, you really learn it well. You have to learn what each part does. It’s different from normal teaching.
01. Warm In The Winter 02. Tears From Heaven 03. Let’s Kiss 04. Fill The Blanks 05. Looking For Love 06. Heart Of Darkness 07. Camera 08. Half Lives 09. The Possessed 10. Cherry 11. Beautiful Object 12. Into Eternity 13. Intimate 14. The Magician 15. Redheads Feel More Pain
Last time we were in Amsterdam…I uploaded the “Running From The Sun” Lp. Tonight we are in Amsterdam again…Still high from our amazing weekend in Paris. We left North America in such a frenzy…I didn’t have time to post this album. We are so happy with all the shows on this trip. This has seriously been the best of the best for us in Europe. Can’t wait for London, Dublin & Barcelona round 2. We’re rabid & ready…
According to park rangers in New South Wales, Australia, dozens of giant, fluorescent pink slugs have been popping up on a mountaintop there. Hundreds of these eight-inch creatures have been spotted only on Mount Kaputar, a 5,000-foot peak in the Nandewar Range in northern New South Wales. Scientists believe the eye-catching organisms are survivors from an era when Australia was home to rainforests.
As far as I can tell, there are eight possibilities here. (I’ve spent a fair bit of time thinking about this.)
1. Benedict Cumberbatch is a hardcore nerdfighter and when Martin Freeman threw up a gang sign, Cumberbatch was like, “I have one of those.”
2. Cumberbatch, who obviously has a relationship with Star Trek, just naturally changed the Vulcan sign (pulling in the thumbs, turning the palms inward, crossing the arms) in precisely the same way that I happened to change the Vulcan sign when I first made the nerdfighter sign in the halcyon days of 2007.
3. One of the interns on set who has gained the trust of Benedict Cumberbatch was like, “If you do your hands like this, the Internet will get really excited.” And so he did.
4. BBC, in their infinite wisdom, staged the entire photo and Cumberbatch was taught the nerdfighter sign (I MEAN LOOK AT THE PERFECTION OF HIS NERDFIGHTER SIGN! He seems so comfortable and confident in it, almost as if it is muscle memory, almost as if he has flashed it to his laptop screen on hundreds of occasions in the past, but I digress) and this photograph was staged to get people psyched for Sherlock, although what tiny segment of nerdfighteria is not already psyched for Sherlock? Also, if this is the case, who is Martin Freeman trying to advertise to? Residents of the West Side?
5. Benedict Cumberbatch has a relative or a friend who is a nerdfighter and so he is passingly familiar with nerdfighteria and liked what he has seen and wanted to make us all very happy.
6. The nerdfighter sign also happens to be the hand sign of some obscure English gang with which I am unfamiliar called like The East London Wanderers or The Slightly Intimidating Liverpudlians or whatever.
7. Nerdfighteria actually figures in the plot of the new season of Sherlock. Perhaps a nerdfighter has been (wrongly no doubt!) accused of a murder.
8. Benedict Cumberbatch was playing some kind of British version of Rock Paper Scissors against two invisible opponents, and he went double scissors (as any smart person would).
A friend told me that I have been reviewing too many things lately and this has made me cynical and jaded. He used words like “your problem is.” So I took that to heart and stepped back after ranting for an hour about J. J. Abrams Star Trek Into Darkness. How could I fix this? Could I step back…
Good review. I missed the end, but maybe that was good thing. Thanks for preserving my Star Trek memories kids with tiny bladders!